Day By Day

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Customers Are A Mess!

So, I have an informal deal with a company to be their maintenance programmer.  They sell software to a company.  If the purchasing company wants the software modified or customized, or if there's some other problem, the selling company directs the purchasing company to me.

So, last month, my contact at the selling company --- SellDude --- forwards an email to me from ADude.  ADude wants some fundamental changes made in the existing software, and has tried to do it himself; no joy.  In fact, he's introduced an error.

SellDude sends me the email, but I don't get back to SellDude until the next day.  SellDude tells me that ADude is good to go --- has fixed his own issues.

Stupidly, I never get back to ADude.

Last Thursday, ADude sends an email complaining that he hasn't heard from anyone.  Oh, boy.  I call ADude and leave a message including my phone number.

ADude calls me back, and I ascertain what he needs, all the while apologizing profusely for the misunderstanding.  However, I foolishly forget to tell him my rates.

I do the work, and get it back to ADude when I said I would.  Only then do I realize I didn't tell ADude what my rates were.  Stupid Rose!

I email ADude and tell him what my rates are, and that I will invoice him, and ask for his preferred method of payment.

ADude runs to SellDude whining about how he didn't expect to have to pay.  SellDude says, oh, no, Rose is a third-party contractor.  SellDude then forwards these emails to me.

I call SellDude and converse.  I then call ADude and leave a message with a secretary.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS lead with your rates!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger